Jun 18, 2017 Last Updated 8:13 PM, Jun 16, 2017


All CARICOM Nationals are entitled to entry into another CARICOM Member State, with an automatic six month stay. Both entry and stay must be definite and hassle free. The right of entry for six months is to be extended to a visiting CARICOM National. CARICOM Nationals who are granted a six months definite stay cannot automatically –

  • stay indefinitely
  • take up residence
  • work without permission
  • provide services
  • establish a business

A CARICOM National who wishes to stay beyond six months or conduct the above activities in another CARICOM country can only do so pursuant to the relevant Community regime, or national laws. A CARICOM National who wishes to change his/her status as a visitor during his stay, must apply to the appropriate authorities and provide the required documentation, as a CARICOM Skilled National or a service provider, or apply for a work permit or permission to reside.  A Member State that receives such an application would do so in accordance with national law and Community law.  It should be noted, however, that in the general application of the right of definite entry, that the purpose of the visit is irrelevant, once it is not unlawful.


Was this helpful?

See our latest publications, research and case studies.

FAQs about CSME

see the most frequently asked questions and answers.  You can even submit your question to add to the FAQs!